8 lovebird facts
7 November 2019
Smart, beautiful and charming birds it is no surprise to see why lovebirds are such a poplar pet.
We take a look at 8 interesting lovebird facts:
- Lovebirds originated from Africa, specifically the forests of Sub-Saharan Africa and Madagascar.
- There are nine different lovebird species; peach-faced lovebird is the most popular.
- Averaging about 12 to 17 centimetres, the lovebird is classified as one of the smallest members of the parrot family.
- Lovebirds are monogamous, meaning they bond with their mate for life.
- Some love birds are androgynous, meaning that it is very hard to tell which a male is and which a female is.
- They can live up to 15 years.
- They love to eat seeds, fruits, vegetables, leafy greens and berries. Some even eat figs and insects.
- Lovebirds make their homes in holes of trees, rocks or shrubs in the wild. Peach-faced lovebirds in Phoenix Arizona USA sometimes make their homes in cacti.
Lovebirds are truly unique and amazing. If you have any other interesting facts about these birds please share them.
How Petcover can help your pet
Petcover specialises in offering quality, straightforward pet insurance with a range of policy options that suit your needs. Whether your pet is big or small, furry or scaly our range of cover options are packed with added benefits. Accidents can happen at any time and the reality of veterinary costs can come a quite a shock. With our range of cover levels for dogs, cats, horses and exotic animals, why not get a quote today.Get a quote